91 Park Drive, Milton Park, Oxfordshire, OX14 4RY, UK
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
Supporting the CMC team by ensuring identified operational and scientific tasks are carried out to a high standard
- General Laboratory housekeeping
- Cleaning (including glassware)
- Waste disposal and treatment
- Stock control
- Maintaining local stores
- Labs are suitably stocked with reagents and consumables
- Purchasing (liaising with suppliers and coordinate the company’s online purchasing system)
- Distributing lab reagents and consumables
- Preparation of growth media etc.as required
- Overseeing the maintenance/ servicing of basic laboratory equipment
- Supporting Laboratory Operations Manager in ensuring all routine Technician tasks are complete
- Notifying the Facilities team of building faults or problems.
- Maintaining laboratory glassware
- Ensuring specified laboratory equipment is maintained in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions.
- Performing required experiments and assays
- May bring specialist experience or expertise relating to a niche scientific area, which will be utilised and developed.
- Operating in accordance with the Company’s Health and Safety policies
- Commitment to growing and learning labs skills to better support the work of the team
- Proactively looking for strategies to improve departments operational efficiency
- Mentoring junior technicians
Provide basic laboratory training to more junior technicians and scientists and actively develop own knowledge, drawing on the experience of others and self-learning
Experience & knowledge
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft applications such as Excel, Access, Word, and Outlook.
- Good Communication skills - Ensuring information and work is passed on correctly and in a timely way to those who depend on it.
- Shown flexibility and willingness to learn new techniques and practices.
- Following detailed instructions and protocols
- Maintenance of accurate records
- Teamwork - Working cooperatively as part of a team
- Worked within a laboratory environment for 3+ years
- Management of waste streams
- Awareness of COSHH management
- Shown a desire to provide material and practical support to scientists
- Actively contributed in a diverse team environment
Shown a strong interest in progressing own knowledge in biological sciences
- EHS experience
- Good manual handling techniques / training
Education & qualifications
- Minimum of GCSE or equivalent in a scientific discipline
- Desirable: HNC in a scientific discipline or equivalent
- Communication Proficiency.
- Time Management.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Technical Capacity.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Analytical Thinking - Tackling problems using a logical, systematic and sequential approach, identifying discrepancies and inconsistencies.
- Attention to Communication - Ensuring information is passed as required it, keeping managers informed on progress and problems, avoiding surprises.
- Diagnostic Information Gathering - Identifying the information required to clarify a situation, asking questions when required.
- Managing Self Performance - Taking responsibility for own performance, clarifying expectations and promptly notifying managers/colleagues of problems affecting potential completion of goals.
- Results Orientated - Focusing on desired results, overcoming obstacles and sometimes frustration, with an urgency to get things done.
- Teamwork - Working cooperatively as part of a team, actively listening and constructively responding to others ideas.
- Thoroughness - Ensuring work and information provided is complete, carefully reviewing and checking the accuracy of information and work.
- Written and oral communication - Writing and speaking clearly to share thoughts and information concisely and appropriately.
IMMUNOCORE VALUES-ALL STAFF
- We lead with science to benefit patients
- We are entrepreneurial
- We value diversity to drive innovation
- We respect each other and act with integrity
- We do the right thing
This job operates in a professional office environment and a development Laboratory. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and an array of Laboratory equipment in which training will be provided prior to use
This is a fairly active role; some lifting and carrying is required. Bench work with in the Laboratory may require extended periods of standing although seats are available for most analysis
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK / TRAVEL
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.