Senior Scientist, Process Development
Immunocore is an innovative and dynamic biotechnology company developing a unique platform of T Cell antigen receptor-based therapeutics, called ImmTAXs, as a novel class of treatments for cancer, infectious and autoimmune diseases.
Immunocore has a well- established pipeline of wholly owned programmes, of world leading science and strong IP position, which has led to discovery collaborations with Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, Medimmune as well as a co-discovery & co-development partnership with Lilly, and recent investment from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The main purpose of the role is to conduct and design experimental investigations enabling the advancement of the Company pipeline, process, or technology capabilities, proposing improvements for consideration by colleagues and managers. Supporting process development within CMC, ensuring regulatory compliance.
• Conducting experiments, observing, interpreting and responding to results.
• Maintaining and increasing technical knowledge in relevant fields through self-study, observation, attending relevant conferences and training courses.
• Maintaining accurate records of all work by completing laboratory notebooks on time, following Company procedures
• Ensuring that laboratory equipment is operated in accordance with safety and risk guidelines; acting promptly to report any faults or problems to the relevant member of staff.
• Operating in accordance with the Company’s Health and Safety policies, especially within a laboratory environment.
Experience & Knowledge
• Line management and leadership of a small team, including managing multiple projects
• Liaise with the Pipeline, Process and Analytical teams to ensure the smooth transition of projects through development and the successful transfer of optimised processes to manufacturing.
• Worked in a bench-based microbial, biochemistry, molecular biology, analytical or bio-pharmaceutical laboratory environment with a recognized and established expertise to:
• Optimise recombinant expression, refolding and protein purification
• Show a strong analytical mind with the ability to interpret complex datasets and propose sound experimental strategies
• Aid the production of biologics to support analytical characterization and formulation studies.
• Have an awareness of cGMP and biopharmaceutical manufacturing requirements
• Molecular biology skills
• Biophysical characterisation of proteins, including Biacore
• Carry out technology transfer of biologic production processes to Contract Manufacturing Organizations (preparation of study reports and technology transfer documents, as well as troubleshooting process transfer issues)
• Proposed and driven changes in working practices that have improved efficiency, supported teams through adoption and change
• Driven the direction and progress of work to aid attainment of deadlines or results
• Record results in a concise and timely way, and in compliance with agreed standards
• Able to interpret results with minimal guidance
• Increase technical knowledge and keep up to date with new technologies to enhance the capabilities of the team
• Ability to network between teams and disciplines
• Familiar with process scale up activities aimed at achieving complete process understanding and control, as well as building robustness into biologics production platforms using DoE implementing QbD
• Lab, document and database management to ensure best practice
• Regulatory CMC document writing contributions (IND, IMPD)
• Current knowledge pertaining to drug development of biotherapeutics
• Contributing to external scientific collaboration
Education & Qualifications
• Essential: BSc. Or MSc. in protein or biochemical engineering, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology or related discipline
• Desirable: PhD in related discipline
• Desirable: Relevant industrial or post-doctoral academic experience