EHS and Biological Safety Advisor
Immunocore is an innovative and dynamic biotechnology company developing a unique platform of T Cell antigen receptor-based therapeutics, called ImmTAXs, as a novel class of treatments for cancer, infectious and autoimmune diseases.
Immunocore has a well- established pipeline of wholly owned programmes, of world leading science and strong IP position, which has led to discovery collaborations with Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, Medimmune as well as a co-discovery & co-development partnership with Lilly, and recent investment from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The Health and Safety / Biosafety advisor role is responsible for assisting the EHS and other departments on all matters relating to EHS from general workplace safety to the use of biological and chemical agents. The role will assist in the carrying out of risk assessments associated with the site, including the use of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), general risk assessments and COSHH. The role will support and enable ongoing business operations at all facilities in the UK.
The individual will be proactive and creative in approach to ensure that systems and policies work alongside the business needs and that risk is appropriately mitigated.
The biosafety elements of the role will be supported by site biosafety experts and the biological safety committee.
- Review and drafting of procedures to ensure the business has appropriate and compliant practices in place.
- Advice on site risk assessments including proposed work with biological agents and the development of codes of practice, as needed.
- Supporting training on HSE and regulatory guidance including the use of biological and chemical agents within the facility, including BIOCOSSH and COSSH.
- Working with the biological safety committee to ensure that appropriate licenses are obtained and notifications made in relation to the use of biological, GMO and chemical agents within the facility and amending or adjusting such licenses or notifications as necessary.
- Work with the Biological Safety committee and be an active member.
- Prepare plans for actions following accidents and incidents involving EHS failures.
- Carry out periodic EHS inspections.
- Support the site EHS support roles e.g. First aider, mental health first aiders, safety reps, fire marshals
- Facilitate relevant EHS training courses and training modules
- Support the completion and regular review of risk assessments for all relevant activities.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported.
- Maintain the EHS documents and update key performance indicators.
- Participate in monthly meetings when required and report on relevant health & safety matters.
- Support Occupational health initiative.
- Any other reasonable duties which may be required by management from time to time.
Experience & knowledge
- Experience in working in a research or technical laboratory.
- Knowledge and experience in GMO regulation, COSSH requirements, laboratory safety, and risk assessment.
- A good understanding of health and safety legislation
- Experience assessing risks using blood borne pathogen’s including in a CL2 laboratory environment.
- Experience in working with class 3 containment facilities.
- Biosafety and EH&S accreditation, for example biosafety qualifications such as ISTR BioSafety, NEBOSH Certificate etc.
Education & qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant subject area e.g., chemistry, biology.