Senior Bioinformatician (Proteomics)
Immunocore is an innovative and dynamic biotechnology company developing a unique platform of T Cell antigen receptor-based therapeutics, called ImmTAXs, as a novel class of treatments for cancer, infectious and autoimmune diseases.
Immunocore has a well-established pipeline of wholly owned programmes, of world leading science and strong IP position, which has led to discovery collaborations with Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, Medimmune as well as a co-discovery & co-development partnership with Lilly, and recent investment from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
We are seeking a Senior Proteomics Bioinformatician to join our innovative and multi-disciplined Proteomics team. The successful candidate will apply their expertise to support the analysis and data management of mass spectrometry-based data. The Senior Proteomics Bioinformatician will be part of a close-knit team of Bioinformaticians and will have the potential to make a huge impact across the company.
- Deliver crucial tools to assist the proteomics department with the analysis of large immunopeptidomic datasets
- Work closely with the software development team to contribute to the development of an HLA database system
- Engineer tools which permit integration of mass spec data with transcriptomic and genomic data sources
- Be the point of communication for access to proteomics data and bespoke analytics for the wider Research team
- Develop machine learning based solutions to discover impactful new insights from a huge wealth of experimental data
- Provide ad hoc bioinformatics support across Research departments
Experience & Knowledge
- Strong proficiency with Python, Linux OS and shell scripting bash
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructures, particularly Amazon Web Services
- Awareness of pipelining systems, such as Luigi, Nextflow, Airflow, Seven bridges
- Theoretical and practical experience with the analysis of mass spectrometry/ Proteomics data
- Skilled in the application of advanced techniques for statistical analysis and data interrogation and interpretation, such as dimensionality reduction algorithms
- Familiarity with variety of publicly available functional annotation tools (GO, KEGG, COG), clustering analysis, protein-protein interaction analysis, pathway analysis, proteome and genome databases.
- Awareness of machine learning based techniques
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written, to explain complex bioinformatic analysis to non-experts
- Understanding of molecular biology, cell biology, immunology or related discipline.
- Significant experience of independent research in academic or industrial setting, or transferable skills gained from professional experience
- Proposed and driven changes in working practices that have improved efficiency, supported teams through adoption and change.
- Presented detailed scientific findings and papers to internal and external audiences
- Hands on experience with software for the analysis of mass spectrometry data, such as but not limited to PEAKS, Proteome Discoverer, MaxQuant, Skyline, ProteinPilot
- Led a project small team, formally or informally, including project management
- May have experience of developing databases, using SQL or similar, and pairing with a user-friendly interface
- May have experience of building next generation sequencing (NGS) analytical pipelines
- Practical experience in implementing machine learning workflows
Education & Qualification:
- Essential: MSc. in bioinformatics related discipline with additional year’s post doc/industrial experience in relevant field.
- Desirable: PhD in bioinformatics related discipline. Additional post doc/industrial experience is desirable.