Immunocore is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of a unique platform of T cell receptor-based therapeutics, called ImmTAXs. The company is developing a deep pipeline in multiple therapeutic areas, including five clinical stage programs in oncology and infectious disease, advanced pre-clinical programs in autoimmune disease and multiple earlier pre-clinical programs.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of laboratory stocks (such as aliquoting cell culture reagents, consumables etc.) in order to support the Scientists; Working under the guidance of Laboratory Stewards. They will also liaise with suppliers and help to coordinate the company’s online purchasing system
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES – ALL TECHNICIANS
• Preparation of growth media or supplements as required
• Stock control, purchasing and distributing lab reagents and consumables
• Overseeing the maintenance/ servicing of laboratory equipment and notifying the Facilities team immediately of any faults or problems.
• General Laboratory housekeeping (waste disposal and treatment )
• Maintaining laboratory glassware
• Ensuring laboratory equipment is maintained in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions,
• Operating in accordance with the Company’s Health and Safety policies, especially within a laboratory environment.
• Commitment to growing and learning labs skills to better support the work of Scientists
• Laboratory supplies: Ensuring Scientists are provided with the reagents and consumables they require to perform their role
• Technical knowledge: Actively developing own knowledge, drawing on the experience of others and self-learning
• Laboratory records: Ensuring that all records facts, data and information are up to date, on time and recorded to the correct standard, checking with a mentor or colleagues if unsure.
• Laboratory equipment: Attending training on the use and maintenance of laboratory equipment
• Health & Safety: Compliance with all H&S requirements, attending appropriate training programs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES – ROLE SPECIFIC
• Preparation of a range of different media plates (TYE and LB)
• Preparation of a range of different media broth (2YT, LB, AIM, TYP)
• Collecting and cleaning of used laboratory glassware
• Preparation of aliquots of communal laboratory reagents (antibiotics, BIAcore reagents, DTT…)
• Disposal of laboratory waste including autoclaving, if required
• Maintenance of laboratory instruments (MilliQ water systems, Aria cell sorter, plate pourer…)
• Ordering of lab consumables, sequencing barcodes and competent cells
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE – ALL TECHNICIANS
• Worked within a laboratory environment
• Shown a commitment to ensuring laboratory equipment is maintained and operated in a safe manner
• Shown a desire to provide material and practical support to scientists
• Shown flexibility and willingness to learn new techniques and adopt new practices to support the company as it expands
• Actively contributed in a diverse team environment
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft applications such as Excel, Access, Word, and Outlook.
• Proven ability to follow detailed protocols and maintain accurate records
• Shown a strong interest in progressing own knowledge in biological sciences
• Worked within a similar role in Industry, Healthcare or an Academic setting
• Previous laboratory experience within protein, microbiology or cell biological sciences
• Knowledge of aseptic technique
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE – ROLE SPECIFIC
• Experience in producing bacterial media and other common molecular biology reagents
• Experience in operating standard equipment used in media prep laboratory
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
• Openness and honesty
Readily offering information pertaining to work in hand whether positive or negative.
• Taking responsibility
Being prepared to accept full responsibility for tasks entrusted to them; seeing tasks through to completion and dealing with the consequences of failure or success.
Being flexible to new ideas and approaches; changes of plans, objectives and/or priorities. Handling disjointed tasks effectively.
• Team spirit
Being able to work productively with others to achieve tasks. Showing consideration for the needs and feelings of others.
SPECIFIC BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES
• Analytical Thinking - Tackling day –to-day problems using a logical and systematic approach, identifying discrepancies and inconsistencies.
• Attention to Communication - Ensuring information and work is passed on correctly and in a timely way to those who depend on it.
• Diagnostic Information Gathering -Identifying the information required to clarify a situation, asking questions when required.
• Managing Self Performance - Works to specific and measurable gaols, seeking support and advice when dealing with unfamiliar or new issues.
• Results Orientated - Focusing on desired results, seeking help and support to overcome obstacles in a timely manner.
• Teamwork - Working cooperatively as part of a team, actively listening and constructively responding to others ideas.
• Thoroughness - Ensuring work and information provided is complete, carefully checking and seeking additional support to help achieve this if needed.
• Written and oral communication - Writing and speaking clearly to share thoughts and information concisely and appropriately.
(Please see the intranet for further information on behaviours, those in Italic are new to this role/ different to the previous level)
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum of A Level in Biology or equivalent