Senior Scientist - Protein Engineering
91 Park Drive, Milton Park, Oxfordshire, OX14 4RY, UK
We are a pioneering, clinical-stage T cell receptor biotechnology company working to develop and commercialize a new platform of T Cell antigen receptor-based therapeutics, called ImmTAX molecules to address unmet needs in cancer, infection and autoimmune disease. Our initial therapeutic focus is in oncology, where pivotal clinical trials are currently underway for our lead program, tebentafusp (IMCgp100), as a potential treatment for metastatic uveal melanoma, a rare form of eye cancer.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist within our Protein Engineering group. We support the continued evolution of Immunocores world leading TCR discovery and lead development pipeline, with a focus on potency, specificity and stability.
Utilising data from in-house proteomics, transcriptomics, phage display, developability assessment and more than 200 TCR:pHLA crystal structures the successful candidate will support the pipeline by developing our tools to ensure the most promising TCRs/variants are selected to increase affinity, whilst retaining exquisite specificity towards our proprietary targets.
- Conduct experiments to support the protein engineering group (e.g. molecular biology, protein biochemistry and display approaches, including phage and mammalian display).
- Generate new phage libraries, develop and optimise methodologies for the assessment of TCR specificity with a focus on increasing throughput and integrating tools into the preclinical pipeline.
- Provide technical and scientific support to other scientists in all stages of R&D work and advise on how to utilise generated data to inform on future engineering strategies.
- Present or contribute to the communication of results to the protein senior management, other departments within the organization, external collaborators, and conferences.
- Maintaining and increasing technical knowledge in relevant fields through self-study, observation, attending relevant conferences and training courses.
Experience and knowledge
- Expert in standard molecular biology, proteins expression, purification and molecular screening including SPR.
- Expert in phage display approaches, including panning, library construction and subsequent data analysis.
- Showing a strong analytical mind with the ability to interpret complex datasets and propose sound experimental strategies
- Mentored and coached less experienced colleagues in scientific practices and theory
- Highly motivated individual who is able to drive their own research. You will strive to impact the pipeline by delivering results with honesty and scientific integrity.
- You will proactively communicate with other groups to ensure data generated both within the group and across the organisation are impactful and lead to altered methods/processes.
- Familiarity with other display technologies including mammalian display is highly desirable.
- Have an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience with biologics and, in particular a good understanding of TCR structure and interactions is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with TCR biology/ Immunology. Some practical cell biology experience including FACS is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics/ data manipulation (coding in R is highly desirable)
Education and qualification
- Essential: BSc. Or MSc. in protein engineering, biochemistry, molecular biology or related discipline
- Desirable: PhD in related discipline
- Desirable: Relevant industrial or post-doctoral academic experience